Sunday 31 May 2009

The power of setting goals...

In honour of the marathon runners toiling in the unusually fierce Scottish sun across town I felt like going for a longer run today and set off in the opposite direction from normal. I did a larger than usual lap of the park, around 3 miles, followed by a regular lap at 2 miles, and then a short jog past the pond (where model boat enthusiasts do battle for territory with the swans and ducks every Sunday).

One of the nice things about running in Edinburgh as that other runners nod and smile and say hello. It's just a more relaxed place all round than London. Shame there's hardly any IT work here....


So my run today totalled 5.78 miles in 58m:27s. It's the longest run I've done since I did the Hampton Court 10k for Cancer Research last September.


One of the reasons I wanted to set a running target for this year was to try to do longer runs and start working towards doing a 10 mile race or a half-marathon next year. Seems to be working so far - my average run in May was more than 3.6 miles compared with just over 2 earlier in the year.


So in May I managed to clock up over 62 miles ! I think this chart shows what setting a goal and telling people about it can do for your motivation !


At the end of May I've run 166.7 miles (33.3% of the total) with 333.3 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment