Sunday 6 December 2009

Hangover cure


No running midweek this week due to a business trip. Not only no running but more food than usual and a lot more alcohol, especially on Thursday night. One of the positive benefits of running a lot is that because you tend to feel the effects of alcohol more (a hangover is a lot more obvious when you're out the next day trying to run 10km) you tend to think twice about having a skinful. Which I'm sure has other positive health benefits - less drinking means less disturbed sleep, which means more energy. Also, my impression is that the people I know who drink more than me (and don't get much exercise) tend to catch colds and flu more often. Certainly I've not had a day off work since I started running.

Anyway, as a result of an exercise-free week, and a few beers more than usual, running this weekend was a bit of a struggle. Yesterday I did 6.5 miles around Greenwich park, and today (after a few glasses of wine and quite a big meal) a 4.36 mile plod around Crystal Palace. However the weather this morning was great - one of those mornings when heavy rain had been replaced by dazzling sunshine, almost making up for having to run with a foggy head.

542 miles for the year now - still on target to pass 600 by December 31st. Now I need to do a bit more to try to pass my fundraising target.

No comments:

Post a Comment