Sunday 12 July 2009

The honeymoon's over...

Well, the wedding day was wonderful and the honeymoon was every bit as good... 10 days on safari in Tanzania followed by a week at the beach in Zanzibar.

Went for a quick 2 mile jog on wedding day just to settle the nerves, but that aside the closest I got to running during the honeymoon was reading Haruki Murakami's "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running"

For a non-runner I suspect it wouldn't be a fantastic read, but as a fellow runner, albeit nowhere near as accomplished - or disciplined - as him I found it very interesting. Countless marathons aside, he's done an ultramarathon and several triathlons, and ran the original Marathon course in Greece (now a very busy trunk road) in the height of summer - so his achievements set him well apart from the rest of us recreational joggers.

In spite of this I found it interesting he shared the same issues about motivation, coping with weather, fitting running around other commitments, avoiding injury. And since like me he sets himself mileage targets every week, and the book is basically a series of journal entries, some of it reads rather like this blog - albeit with more style, content and better grammar :)

Anyway... after 3 weeks off, it's back to work tomorrow, and back to running... did a couple of very slow miles around Dulwich Park today in an attempt to ease back into it... not the most comfortable or energetic run I've done - but at least the legs still seem to be in working order.

Those 2 miles plus the 2 on wedding day bring my total to 207.8 miles completed, so still plenty of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment